Online threats force Richfield District to cancel classes at its high schools

Administrators on Monday canceled high school classes at Richfield Public Schools after unspecified online threats received early in the morning, a decision taken days after gunshots injured two people outside his home game. high school football last week.

“While we have partnered with the police to investigate the credibility of the threats, due to the timing and recent events outside of our homecoming game, we have made the decision to close our secondary schools today. “, read the announcement from District Superintendent Steven Unowsky. .

The district did not disclose the nature of the threats or their origin.

Instruction was canceled in middle and high school, Richfield College’s experience program, and a South Education Center program.

All elementary schools will remain open because “they were not targets of the threats,” Unowsky’s statement said. However, primary schools and the central education center were to have additional staff from the district office on site, as well as police patrols throughout the day.

“If families choose to keep their elementary students home for the day, it will be an excused absence if they follow their school’s absence reporting procedures,” Unowsky added.

“We are aware that this is a troubling message to receive,” continued the superintendent. “We are grateful to the Richfield community for your support and to the people who reported the threats to us.”

On Friday, two people were shot and injured outside the football facility where Richfield High School was playing its return game against Bloomington Kennedy.

Richfield police said on Sunday that a 16-year-old boy, who is a former student of Richfield, allegedly started the dispute. He was arrested Sunday morning in Edina, while a 15-year-old student from Richfield, who allegedly fired the bullets that injured the two victims, was arrested Saturday night in Richfield.

The victims, aged 18 and 21, are said to be last in good condition and recovering at home. One was shot in both legs and the other in one leg, according to an affidavit filed in Hennepin County District Court by police seeking permission to search the 16-year-old’s home in the 7400 block of S. York Avenue.

Authorities have yet to reveal the motive for the shooting.

About Dorie Castro

Check Also

Paul Hastings’ Dayanim to lead Orrick’s new play practice (1)

Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe enlists Benham Dayanim, partner of Paul Hastings, to create and lead …