New player survey shows toxicity, misogyny and a lack of effective moderation are likely to normalize

SAN FRANCISCO and HELSINKI, Nov. 11, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Consumer research platform PickFu and AI-based moderation specialist Utopia Analytics have teamed up to release a report based on insights gleaned from 1,000 US-based gamers. United States, which lays bare the worrying state of online gaming in 2021.

The report, Playing Online Games in 2021: Toxicity, Misogyny, and Lack of Moderation, asked gamers to share their direct experiences of toxicity in online games. He revealed that 38% were the direct targets of abusive remarks from other players, and an additional 32% witnessed abuse but did not experience it themselves. In total, 70% of the players surveyed were negatively affected by the behavior of other players.

With levels of social media abuse and toxicity reaching rampant levels, game toxicity is still portrayed in mainstream media as something that only affects a minority of gamers playing FPS titles. ” hardcore ‘such as Counter strike Where Call of Duty. However, the experiences of gamers interviewed in this report suggest that online abuse is much more prevalent and that effective moderation of gaming communities and online gaming is sorely lacking.

The main findings include:

  • Almost half (49%) of toxic behaviors towards respondents focused on their personal or perceived identity, including factors such as ethnicity, gender and sexual orientation.
  • Of the 49%:
    • 37% said they had been verbally harassed in an online game specifically because of their gender
    • 31% had been harassed because of their ethnicity
    • 32% had experienced harassment because of their sexual orientation
  • 30% of 489 women surveyed – almost one in three – said they had experienced abuse and toxicity while gambling online
    • Of these 30%, the majority (72%) said the abuse was misogynistic. By comparison, none of the men interviewed reported gender discrimination or abuse.
  • MMO RPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) were the most toxic type of game according to our respondents. More than half said they had witnessed or experienced toxicity while playing these games.

“People look to the game for escape, assuming the virtual worlds they enter will be safe and fun. The reality, in the players’ own words, is that these negative interactions have a significant impact on their health. mentality and their enjoyment of playing. This should be a wake-up call. calling on the industry to make gambling a safe space for everyone, “said John Li, co-founder of PickFu.

“With so many people looking to games to navigate a year of lockdowns and upheaval, there is a risk that many of these new players will be bitterly disappointed if we cannot do more to reduce the capacity of this toxic minority. to disrupt the pleasure of the majority and, as an industry, to take the issue of moderation much more seriously, ”said Dr Mari-Sanna Paukkeri, CEO of Utopia Analytics.

Using PickFu’s online platform, the survey collected feedback from 1,000 American adults between the ages of 18 and 74 who identify as gamers on consoles, PCs and mobile platforms. The survey collected responses from May 6, 2021, To June 5, 2021. The data was analyzed jointly by PickFu and Utopia Analytics

The report can be downloaded free of charge from: https://www.pickfu.com/resources/toxicity-in-gaming

About PickFu

PickFu is a consumer research software company dedicated to helping businesses make more informed decisions through instant online surveys. With PickFu’s out-of-the-box respondent panel, businesses across industries such as e-commerce, gaming, software, and marketing collect information on product features, graphic design, user interfaces, writing, etc.

Learn more about https://www.pickfu.com/

About Utopia Analytics

Founded in 2014, Utopia Analytics brings together experts in text analysis, artificial intelligence and software development. With several doctoral students and masters-level professionals in our team, our heritage is firmly anchored in a context of academic research. Our vision is to change the way user-generated content is used and managed.

Learn more about www.utopiaanalytics.com

For more information please contact:

PickFu
Amy Ballantyne
E-mail: [email protected]

Analytical Utopia
Janne Huuskonen
E-mail: [email protected]

SOURCE PickFu and Utopia Analytics

Source link

About Dorie Castro

Check Also

Texas A&M Vs LSU Live Stream: How To Watch CONFERENCE Game Via Live Stream Online

The Texas A&M Aggies and LSU Tigers meet in Week 13 at Tiger Stadium in …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *