THE BEGINNINGS OF THE GREAT SKY
The reigning NCAA Division II Women’s National Basketball Champions open their 2021-22 campaign in Billings, MT, competing in the D2CCA Tip Off Classic at Trailhead for a trio of games. LCU opened its season Friday with a 69-55 victory over Montevallo before outscoring tournament host Montana State Billings 67-61 on Saturday. They end their stay with # 11 Tampa Sunday (4:15 p.m. Central). The Classic / Tournament is the first of four LCUs to be competed in during the regular season. LCU opens the game with its first five road games. Next week, LCU will travel to Lakewood, Colorado for the classic RMAC / Lone Star Tip-Off before their first home game on November 19, as LCU hosts the Lady Chap Invitational.
- > Allie Schulte leads LCU in offense, averaging 17.5 per game. She is averaging 14.5 per game in the first half alone. She is 12 out of 21 (57.1%) in the field and 5 out of 10 (50%) at long distance.
- > Ashton duncan leads LCU with seven three-pointers, averaging 3.5 per game. She had 22 points against MSU Billings, scoring clutch buckets on offensive possessions from a possession game.
- > LCU opened the season with its first 14 free throw attempts and is 81.5% (22/27) from the free throw line.
- > Juliana Robertson leads LCU in over / under with a score of +36 for the season, with a rate per game of +18.
- > Channing cunyus joins Schulte and Duncan in offensive double digits, averaging 10.0 points per game.
- > Grace Foster was a real hard-hitting freshman, leading the team in blocks (2) and averaging 5.0 rebounds per game.
- > LCU averages 10 interceptions per game. Laynee burr leads the team with six.
- > On Saturday night, LCU overcame a 12-point deficit and scored 8 for 8 on possessions they had the ball in with a one-possession lead (with points resulting in a two-possession lead). They were 6 of 7 on the field in attempts to shoot in the scenario, the only miss resulting in an offensive rebound and possible free throws from a foul.
FIVE THINGS ABOUT TAMPA
1> The Spartans played an improvised seven-game schedule last season due to COVID. They won all seven contests and all seven were played at home. They are 1-1 this season after beating Seton Hill 75-48 and losing 81-67 to Montevallo.
2> UT is selected for the preseason to win the Sunshine State Conference. They won nine of the eleven first place votes. They are also ranked # 11 nationally by the WBCA.
3> Another longtime head coach is launching into Billings, as UT head coach Tom Jessee is in his 20th season leading the Spartans. He’s 373-169 in Tampa and has guided the Spartans to 10 NCAA appearances in the past 15 seasons.
4> The Spartans’ No.11 preseason ranking is the highest in program history. This is their fifth time in the program’s history to be in the WBCA preseason rankings.
5> Tampa’s roster is filled with D1 transfers, as they have eight players on the roster who transferred from an NCAA Division I program.
THE SERIES AGAINST TAMPA
LCU and Tampa have never met. The Lady Chaps are 2-0 against Florida-based programs. The Lady Chaps defeated Rollins and Florida Southern in their 2015-16 title race, with a 73-69 victory over Florida Southern on March 22, 2016 at the Elite Eight tournament in Sioux Falls, SD marking their last game against a team. of the Sun State.