Oculus Quest 2 is a standalone headset popular around the world and gaming enthusiasts have loved VR headsets. However, you can connect it to your gaming PC to get exclusive VR experience. If you’re looking for a step-by-step guide to connecting the two devices, you’ve come to the right place. The VR headset can work with wired or wireless connections and on top of that you will have full access to Steam VR and a large number of PC VR games.
There are few things you will need to play your PC VR games with your oculus quest. Like an oculus quest, a VR compatible PC, a USB cable with a USB C connector for a wired connection, a 5 GHz 802.11 AC / Wi-Fi 5 router connected to your VR PC via Ethernet, the oculus quest software for Windows, and a Virtual Reality Game on PC.
You should also keep in mind the length of your USB cable. If you plan on standing or sitting stationary play, a shorter cable will do. But in case you want a bigger play area, you will need a long USB cable.
Prepare the limit of your play space
Before connecting the VR headset to your gaming PC, you will need to plan your gaming limits. You can configure your questing gaming space limit in its standalone mode. Whenever your request detects a space that is not stored in your limit information, it will ask you to create a new one.
Quest 2 set up a wired connection
- If this is the first time you are using your Quest with your PC, you will need to do some initial setup work. Once you have completed the initial setup, download the Oculus software for Windows PC.
- After downloading the software, launch the installer and follow the on-screen steps. This application will need 5 GB of data.
- After installation, the software will ask you to create your account or sign in to the existing Oculus account. Here you should note that Quest 2 users will need to link their Facebook account.
- And once logged into your oculus app, you can now set up your quest for PC VR.
- First, you will need to select the devices from the left sidebar. Then click on the Add a headset option.
- Now you need to select your helmet model.
- You must also select the link cable option.
- After that, you will need to plug one end of your cable into the PC and the other end to your quest. If you are using a USB 3 cable, make sure your PC supports USB 3 port.
- Just in case you are using a USB 2 connection, the software will send out a warning. However, this is not the point to worry as you can play games using a USB 2 cable with compressed images.
- Once the setup is complete, you will get the setup complete screen. Once you get this screen, close this software and put your headphones connected.
- Once you put on your headset, you will be asked if you want to activate the oculus link. After saying yes, you will be moved to the oculus PC environment.
- That’s it, you are now ready to play games on your Oculus Quest headset.
Native Oculus Games
You can play your native Oculus PC games with your Quest as easy as you can play your native Quest games. Once you’ve reached your PC Oculus Virtual Space, you’ll have access to your entire library. You can select any game you want to play.
Steam VR and other VR games on Quest 2
If you want to play games other than those available in the official Oculus library, then there is good news for you. According to the official forum, any game compatible with the old Oculus rift is also available for Quest and for that you will need the oculus link.
Before launching your Steam VR game with your Quest, you will need to ensure that Steam VR is installed on your system. To download Steam VR, you will need to find the Steam storefront and install it on your PC. After that, there are many ways to launch your Steam VR game to play with your quest. But all of these methods will require opening the Oculus software.
Set up a wireless connection
- To configure your Quest wirelessly with your PC, you will need to use the Oculus Airlink. The wireless connection process is similar to the Oculus wired link method. This means that you won’t have to worry about the cable length with your PC VR games and you will be able to roam freely.
- Currently, the air link functionality is in the testing phase. To access the beta, you need to head to the Settings option and then find the beta in the Oculus PC software. Additionally, you need to enable the feature in the settings of your Quest headset when it is in standalone mode. You will find this feature under the Experimental Features option.
- Once this feature is enabled on both devices, you will need to make sure that your PC and your Quest are running on the same Wi-Fi network. For best results, you can connect your PC to your router via Ethernet. Quest must be connected to the router with 5Ghz frequency band using 802.11ac Wi-Fi or it must be connected with Wi-Fi 6.
- Once that’s all done, select the quick settings in your quest and head to the Air Link option. After that, you will be able to see the list of PCs activated by air link on this network. Once you have selected your PC, you will be moved to the oculus PC environment. And from now on, you will have to follow the exact same steps as in wired connection to play games with your wireless quest.